description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Friday, January 17, 2014

Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin ~ Singapore screening - short comments


Gosh... it's sooooo late... I will need to sleep ASAP.  Still... I really want to write this because if I don't... I don't think I ever will.

Tonight, my friends and I went to watch the Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin movie at Cathay Cineleisure in Singapore.  Never in a million years did I expect this movie to screen in Singapore because all the previous ones didn't screen here.  Also, since there is a series of KnK films before Mirai Fukuin, the viewer will need to have a lot of prior information before viewing this film.  So, I really didn't expect it to screen but am super happy it did.

I loved it!!!! But I am bias of course. Just being able to watch this film on the big screen filled me with so much happiness, it would have to be an utterly horrible film of Starwars Episode 1 proportions for me to not like this film. :P

It stays true to some of the KnK conventions, as in they do play with time and chronology when they tell the story.  But it also differs from the main KnK films as in, this is not as dark, not as violent and not as bloody.  I don't see this as a bad thing or out of character.  After all, given that things didn't end too badly at the end of the 7th film, Murder Speculation (Part 2), or the 8th film, Epilogue, I think that it's actually quite fitting.

I would like to say more but I am afraid that I may accidentally go into spoiler territory.  So I'll kind of leave it as that. :)

I loved that I was able to listen to Kajiura Yuki's music and Kalafina singing the end themes of the film play loudly in a proper cinema.  This is my second time, my first being the 3rd Madoka movie, which I watched in Tokyo last year.  And even though it's my second time, I was no less thrilled. :)

After having watched the film, I now know why Kalafina's Alleluia was not a typical KnK end theme.  It is lighter and more hopeful and I think that it's appropriate for this film and also appropriate that Kajiura Yuki chose Keiko to lead most of this song.  This song needed the kind of sound and feel that Keiko brings to songs like Symphonia and Mune no Yukue.

One thing I didn't know till I watched Mirai Fukuin in the cinema was that dolce is an end theme song too.  Alleluia is the ending theme of Mirai Fukuin, dolce is the ending theme for Mirai Fukuin Extra Chorus.  I always thought that dolce was just the b-side single.

KnK fans who live in Singapore... go watch it.  I liked it lots. :)  A word of warning for those who have not watched the first 7 movies, there are a lot of references to events that happened in the first seven films and a lot of recurring characters and I think that those who have not watched the previous films, may not enjoy Mirai Fukuin.

Also, just a little bit about the experience and not the movie.  I really wish anime fans would stop talking throughout anime films.  Seriously... there are other people watching these anime films that are also huge fans of the anime who will know what is going on.  We don't need a running commentary or know just how much you know about the film.  This isn't the first time I've been to an anime screening in Singapore and have the experience a little ruined by other viewers who talk and talk or squeal and squeal throughout the film.  Cinema etiquette should not go down the drain just because it's an anime film. A little consideration... please... thanks!!

Okay, enough of that little rant. Soon, the KnK: Mirai Fukuin BD & DVDs will be released.  I'm got mine pre-ordered. :)  Click me to go to my previous post about it.

And if you loved the film, can afford it and can understand Japanese, please buy.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Knk: Mirai Fukuin / Mirai Fukuin Extra Chorus Blu-ray with CD Limited Edition
KnK: Mirai Fukuin / Mirai Fukuin Extra Chorus DVD with CD Limited Edition
KnK: Mirai Fukuin Regular Edition
KnK: Mirai Fukuin Extra Chorus Regular Edition

Lastly... I leave you with a few photos of the poster that all ticket holders at today's screening got. :)  One is a full length photo of the poster with Kalafina's Alleluia single next to it for comparison.  The other two photos are closeups of the credits in English... it gave me such a thrill to see Kajiura Yuki's name and Kalafina printed on the poster.  Yes... I know... cheap thrill... but still... I'm not a fan for nothing. :P

  

That's all folks... good night. :)

7 comments:

Stripey said...

Glad to see a fellow SG anime fan spread the word about Mirai Fukuin! I will be catching the show tomorrow and, after your entry, am really psyched up to see it.

Could I just confirm if the show is really 123min as stated?

On the blu-ray/dvd, I'm just slightly disappointed it doesn't come with Eng subs. After all the KnK blu-ray boxset came with eng subs. The good thing about Mirai is that it would be True HD unlike KnK previous movies which are upscales albeit very good ones. :)

just me said...

Hello Stripey,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. :) I hope I didn't build up too much hype for the films and I hope you enjoyed it too. :)

I am not sure if it's really 123 mins as stated. I didn't really pay attention to when it started and when it ended. I can tell you that both Mirai Fukuin and Mirai Fukuin Extra Chrus are two separate films and are presented as separate films with their own end credits.

I'm disappointed too that the BD / DVDs don't have English subs. I think that Japan has been missing out on reaching the wider world wide audience by not including subtitles for one of the most commonly understood languages in the world... English.

Things are changing, albeit, slowly. The Japanese Edition of the first two Mahou Shoujo Madoka movies shipped with English subtitles and the third one will ship with English subs too. :)

I'm really looking forward to receiving my BD of the KnK: Mirai Fukuin movies. Lucky for me, I do understand some Japanese so I will be able to partially understand the film. My Japanese is still not strong but some day, I hope to be able to understand all of it without the aid of English subtitles. :)

I'll be doing an unboxing post when that set arrive. So if you have time, you can drop by the blog again if you're interested. :)

cheers and enjoy the movie!! :)

p.s. I checked out your blog... very cool... lots of nicely written reviews. :)

p.p.s. I want to watch Mirai Fukuin again but I can't this weekend and all of next week, I'm hoping the films will do well enough for them to extend it for a two week run and then I will definitely go again next weekend. :)

bevan said...

I managed to catch the evening show at Cineleisure on the 17th - thankfully I (think) didn't the other troubles (running commentaries) that plagued yours.

The squeals during the show I was in mainly occurred during the cat scene (afterall, we shouldn't underestimate cats!), and Mikiya's cluelessness near the end had the theatre laughing.

I found the short reel after the end of the first part (after the credits, before extra chorus) where they showed the characters sitting in a theatre was hilarious as hell.

The movie is alot more light hearted, and I really agree that fans of KnK should seize the opportunity to catch this film. How often do you hear YK and Kalafina in a movie theatre anyway?

bevan said...

woopsie, a typo

- thankfully I (think) didn't *encounter* the other troubles (running commentaries) that plagued yours.

just me said...

Hello Bevan,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. :) It's nice that you watched the movie with a good crowd. :)

The cat scenes were funny. Oh...we did get a kick out of seeing Touko Aozaki play the GBA. :)

I love those shots too. The ones that tell the audience to be considerate in the cinema. I hope they include this in the BD release.

I'm really hoping that more people will watch KnK in the cinemas. I really want to watch it again but my schedule was completely packed this weekend. And in order for the movie to screen for a 2nd week, it has to do well in the first week.... so fingers crossed!!

I have a feeling that this film is a test film to see whether Singaporeans are interested in more niche anime titles and not just the popular and famous ones like One Piece, Conan, Hunter X Hunter etc.

I love KnK so I want it to do well, just because it is KnK. But I also hope that if KnK is a success, then we may one day see other titles like the 3rd Madoka movie or the AnoHana movie etc make their way to Singapore.

And yeah seriously... all Kajiura Yuki and Kalafina fans in Singapore should go watch this movie simply because it is really, really awesome to hear the music with the visuals on the big screen. :)

Stripey said...

Thanks to your info I stayed for Extra chorus. A few in my theatre left and during my friend's session, all but 5 in the audience left. :P

Enjoyed the show as a KnK fan but wish there was more action. :)

Will be looking out for your unboxing! Am contemplating ordering the Madoka 3rd movie blu-ray as well. :)

just me said...

Hi Stripey,

Oh.... I'm glad my info helped you. I guess I didn't think that anyone going for the screening wouldn't know that Mirai Fukuin and Mirai Fukuin: Extra Chorus are two separate films.

I know what you mean about the action stuff. The first 7 KnK films was full of action and IMO nicely planned and animated action too.

One of the friends who went with meo had never watched KnK before Mirai Fukuin and didn't have a clue what was going on. He wished there were more action scenes too. He rather liked the action sequences that he saw in Mirai Fukuin but wished that there was more of them. I told him for that, he'll need to watch the first 7 KnK movies. :)

Cool... come by again and check out the unboxings. :)

cheers