description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Kalafina on Utage!

I knew that Kalafina made an appearance on a TBS program called Utage on the 24th of June.  I didn't pay a lot of attention to it because since it was on Japanese tv and unless some kind soul uploaded it and I managed to find it, I would not be able to watch it anyway.

Luckily for me, Melvin left me a message in one of the comments and pointed me to the clip of Kalafina on Utage!  I really don't know how long it'll remain on YouTube, I hope they don't take it down but you never know.  So go check it out as soon as you can.

Utage is a program hosted by Masahiro Nakai of SMAP and Mayu Watanabe of AKB48.  Guest artists will perform cover versions of songs from other artists on the show.  Click Me for more info.


Kalafina covered Dreams Come True's "Love Love Love".  Looks like they were very excited about being on the program.  They couldn't seem to hide their excitement.  If I'm not wrong Keiko said that they seldom appear on television and I personally think that that's the reason why they appear to be quite excited to be on tv.

I have to say, they really did sound really good together on this program.  And I like the new arrangement.  It's not a straightforward cover of Dreams Come True's original version which I think is a good thing.  It's nice that when a cover is done that the artist brings their own interpretation in as well.  I think the new interpretation probably has mostly Kajiura Yuki's input. If I'm not wrong, the 3 vocalists also give their own input from time to time which Kajiura Yuki does take into consideration, so I'm not sure how much input each of them had in this new interpretation of this song but I dare say it'll most likely be mostly Kajiura Yuki's arrangement/interpreation.  I won't say which version is better because they are both different and good and which one you prefer will depend on your bias.

But first, here are two video links.  One is of Kalafina on Utage!  Like I said earlier, check it out ASAP because who knows how long it'll be online.  The one after that will be the single's version of DCT's original version of the song.





I do know who Dreams Come True are and have heard their songs.  My favourite DCT song is the end theme for one of the Emergency Hours 24 dramas and it's called Nandodemo.  I really love that song and looped it a lot at one point in time.  But I'm not a die hard DCT fan, so I've actually not heard "Love Love Love" before even though it's a pretty famous song so I searched it up on YouTube to have a listen.

The original version is very nice too but different.  By default, Kalafina could not do a straightforward cover of the song.  It has to be different because Kalafina is a group that sings in parts and Keiko also said that they wanted to sing "Love Love Love" in parts and since DCT has only one main vocal, then by default, the two interpretations of the song will have to be different. There are sections of the song which each of the girls will lead and these sections very cleverly plays to their strengths... nicely done Kajiura Yuki. :)

I must say, Kalafina did a beautiful job re-interpreting this song.  If they were nervous before they took the stage, they certainly didn't show it when they started singing.  The harmony was really very beautiful and each of the girls sang their solo portions very well.


My favourite part is near the end when the three of them sang together and then Keiko takes over.  The trio looked so happy singing that song, it was kind of heart-warming. They really seem to be so happy to be able to appear on the program that it kind of made me happy for them. :)  Also, if there is one thing that I like more than the original version is the way Kalafina ended their interpretation of the song.  They came together in perfect harmony and then Hikaru and Wakana provided support for Keiko to take it to a really powerful finish.... classic Kalafina stuff... masterfully done.  I really liked their performance. Awesome!!!! :)

I really can't wait for their new song to be released... I can't wait for the Kajiura Yuki live Blu-rays too... getting soooo excited. :P  But it's time to sleep.  I wanted to do some Nuke practice but writing this post took up so much time cuz I kept looping Kalafina's version of "Love Love Love". :P  I should get some sleep...very, very busy days at the office these days....need to make sure I get enough rest.... that's it for now... oyasumi. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, too bad I just saw this blog just now. :(

The video is no longer in youtube and I can't find any copy of it anywhere. Good thing I downloaded it beforehand. Hahaha. Thanks for sharing this stuff. :)

just me said...

Ah.... yeah... sadly both videos are no longer available on youtube. :(

Good thing you downloaded it. :) I did too. When it comes to Kajiura Yuki, FictionJunction and Kalafina, I tend to download everything if possible.

I think I saw somewhere that they will be on utage again... that would be cool wouldn't it. :) I thought they sounded really good the first time round. :)

Thanks for leaving a message, come by again sometime. :)

cheers