description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ieiri Leo ~ "Silly" (Limited Edition / Type B) - unboxing

I decided that after days and days of writing about Kalafina, let's do something else for a change. :) I'm going to do an unboxing post for singer-songwriter Ieiri Leo's latest single "Silly".  I think I never got around to doing an unboxing of her "a boy ~ 3rd live tour" BD because I lent that BD to a friend, who's a HUGE Ieiri Leo fan, soon after I got it and it's still with him. :'(


I really do like Ieiri Leo but unfortunately, she released her single on the same day that Kalafina did and as my pockets don't run that deep, I only picked up the LE/Type B version.  I picked the version that contained the DVD with clips of her performing at various lives through the years.  LE/Type A contains the MV and the making-off and I rather get the live versions because I really enjoy watching her lives.
The title song for this single, "Silly", is also the theme song for the Japanese drama "N no tameni"

So first up, photos of the single. :)

       

It's a pretty standard release.  Two tray jewel case with a thin insert booklet with some photos of her, lyrics and credits.

This comes with the DVD containing five tracks of her at various lives.  What I like about it is that they included footage of her from her very first debut event in Feb of 2012 at the Shibuya Eggman to her performance of "For You" at the Rock in Japan Fes. 2014 at Lake Stage.  It's nice to watch the DVD all the way through and watch her growth and progress as a singer.

I made a few screen captures too just so that you can have a taste of what to expect on the DVD.

      

And in case anyone hasn't seen the short version of the MV yet.



And also this.  This is the short version of her singing "For you", the coupling song on the "Junjo" single, at the Rock in Japan Fes.  You'll get the full version if you buy the LE/Type B version of the single.



To be perfectly honest, this isn't my favourite Ieiri Leo release because, unlike my friend who's a HUGE Ieiri Leo fan, I've always preferred her rockier songs.  He on the other hand likes her ballads more than her rock songs.  My favourite Ieiri songs are songs like "Shine", "Kibou no Hoshi", "Kimi no Todoke", "Bless You", "Ijiwaru Kamisama" etc.  He, on the other hand, will love songs like "Chocolate" etc above something like "Bless You" or "Shine". So, for me "Silly" is a little too slow for my taste and also the feel of this release is not as edgy as some of her previous releases.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't like slower songs and it's not like I don't like her slower songs, I just usually prefer it when Ieiri sings faster and rockier songs, somehow I just find her faster songs a lot more suited to my taste.

That said, I do like this single.  I generally like most of her songs so am quite happy to have picked this up because although "Silly" is unlikely to ever become my favourite Ieiri song, I do not dislike the song.  Also, I do like the two coupling songs too, my favourite on this release goes to the third track "Yuuki no Shirushi" which is, surprise surprise, a rock song. :P

While I'm not that familiar with the length and breathe of Japanese music nor am I good at identifying genres of music, I don't think that there are too many solo female artistes in Japan right now that sing pop-rock / garage rock songs that don't sound very typically Japanese.  At least, to me, Ieiri's rock doesn't sound like the usual rock / pop stuff we get from Japan most of the time.  Maybe in part it's because she's a solo artiste and not part of a group of good looking people which is usually the trend right now.   Also, I think that Ieiri takes more chances with her music and, explores and tries and incorporate various influences into her songs.  I guess, maybe that's why I like her because, like Kajiura Yuki, she doesn't settle for safe.

Ganbatte Ieiri Leo!!  I look forward to your next release with as much anticipation as the next Kajiura Yuki / FictionJunction / Kalafina release. :)  I've finally found a young female rock singer to replace the hole Stereopony left when they split up. :'(

And here... because Ieiri Leo made me think of Stereopony... my two favourite Stereopony songs ever!  I'm still sad that I have never seen Stereopony live.  They are the biggest reason why I regret not going to AFA Indonesia in 2012. :(





Hmmmmm.... I should go find out what Aimi, the lead singer for Stereopony, is up to these days.  I think I'll go try and find out now. :)

Oh... and if you like Ieiri Leo too and wish to support her work, then please do buy her CD if you can afford it.  You are welcome to use this link if you like.

Ieiri Leo ~ Silly (Limited Edition / Type B)

For other versions and cover art... CLICK ME.

No comments: