description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Of wooden spoons and Kajiura Yuki

I suppose I should try and get started on writing my full impression of the Kajiura Yuki Vol.8 Live that I attended in Tokyo recently.  I have most of it written in my notebook but I was distracted by the Everton football match earlier tonight and am rather tired now.  Since that post would take a while to write, I think I'll only write about the wooden spoons from that Live. :)

Kajiura Yuki really likes wooden spoons.  During one of the MCs during the Live, Kajiura talked at length about these wooden spoons.  To a cynic, it may seem like she was trying to sell you merchandise you don't need.  But to me and I think most people at the Live, she seemed genuinely passionate about them. Not only did she produce a set of 2 wooden spoons for fans to purchase, she also urged us all to use them.  And the biggest reason why I'm talking about them now is because I really did do what she asked and used my wooden spoon tonight.:)

As usual, my Japanese isn't good enough to understand a lot of what Kajiura said at the live but Itsuko kindly translated what she remembered for me and some of this is from what I think Kajiura said.  It appears that Kajiura has a lot of wooden spoons in her kitchen and really likes them.  Kajiura also talked about the experience of eating with a wooden spoon.  She used curry rice and ice-cream as examples.  She said that when she eats hot food, like curry, a metal spoon will become hot and when she eats cold food like ice cream, the spoon will become cold.  Using a wooden spoon to eat these kinds of food is gentler.  I remember her using the adjective やさしい and I think in this context, she meant gentle.  Also, if Itsuko remembered correctly and I understood correctly, I think Kajiura said these spoons are big but she designed them to have smaller, pointier ends to make it easier to put it into one's mouth.

Actually, Kajiura didn't really have to do very much marketing to sell these spoons.  Megumi told us during lunch that the spoons sold out on the first day of the live and she regretted not getting them.  At that point in time, both Itsuko and I had no intention of getting the spoons but Megumi told us that she would be getting them and then said, " 買ったほうがいい。 Itsuko and I weren't fully convinced but while standing in line and hesitating, we managed to get a look at the spoons as we got closer to the sales counter and they look kind of nice so we decided to buy them.  After Kajiura's passionate MC devoted to those wooden spoons, I must say that I am glad I decided to buy them. :)

Now as to the experience of eating with those wooden spoons.  I really don't know if it's really what Kajiura was trying to describe it to be but it was really kind of nice.  These spoons are relatively deep compared to the kind of metal spoons I am used to and I am sure would make rather nice soup spoons.  The spoons themselves are kind of smooth which gave it a different feel from my experience of eating ice-cream with those rough wooden sticks.  It was quite odd eating my frozen chocolate yogurt with these spoons.  I am way more used to my metal spoons feeling cold against my tongue but like Kajiura said, this spoon did not become cold at all, the only thing that was cold was the frozen yogurt against the roof of my mouth.  It was definitely different.  I'm not sure if I agree that it's gentler but it was nice and I would happily eat my ice-cream and frozen yogurt with this spoon.Itsuko used the spoon to eat her curry rice about a day or two ago and she said it was hard to describe how it felt but she felt that it had a soft feeling about it.  I will have to try my spoon with Japanese curry rice myself someday. :)

Before I head off to bed though, I would like to bring up a some thing Kajiura wrote on her Twitter Feed.  Yesterday, she announced via twitter that Kalafina will sing a song for Minna no Uta.  I haven't been keeping up with her tweets late so didn't see that announce.  Firstly, Kajiura is a prolific twitter and my nihongo is kind of 下手 and reading her tweets can take me a while and I don't understand a lot of it so when I'm busy, I have a tendency to skip the bulk of the tweets that are harder to understand.

Yesterday, I was alerted to this new song through Sony's RSS feed and so decided to check out if Kajiura said anything about it.  It seems like Kajiura really rather likes Minna no Uta too. :)  She was quite cute about it actually.  Right after she tweeted that the lineup for Minna no Uta has been decided and that Kalafina will sing Moon Festa for NHK's Minna no Uta, she tweeted that although that announce was made calmly, she was actually  "♪ゝ(▽`*ゝ)(ノ*´▽)ノ♪ヘ( ̄▽ ̄*)ノ・ ・.♪ヒャッホーイ♪.・ ・ヾ(* ̄▽ ̄)ノー(ノ_・、)".  Hahaha... she's really quite Japanese in many ways and loves to use emoticons in her tweets.  It seems like she is really happy about being about to write for Minna no Uta because she really likes Minna no Uta.  It's like a dream for her.

I, for one, look forward to the release of this particular Minna no Uta song.  Hopefully it will be released with the PV included, I will most definitely pick this up. :)

K... time for be...good night. :)

No comments: