description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Friday, November 08, 2013

Kalafina ~ Kimi no Gin no Niwa - unboxing


This is another quality work from Kajiura Yuki and Kalafina.  Really good songs that make good use of Kalafina's greatest strengths.  Kimi no Gin no Niwa has the lightheartedness of Moonfesta but without the feeling of being at a festival.  The opening with Hikaru in the lead and Keiko and Wakana sounding like tiny bells in the background is simply lovely.  And of course I love Keiko's solo near the 3min mark. :P  It's a really lovely song and I was fortunate enough to be one of those who heard it play loud and clearly on quality speakers in a cinema in Japan and it sounded so good then and still does now even on my not very large desk top speakers.

But the song that I really, really like in this single is Tsuioku.  This is really Kalafina at their best and very close to their Kara no Kyoukai roots.  They harmonize beautifully in this song to sound mysterious and ethereal, yet at the same time strong and forceful.  It's like they are right there... singing but when you reach out to catch the notes, they become elusive and pull away.  Tsuioku is a particularly good song and currently this is my favourite song in the single and I have had this and Kimi no Gin no Niwa on loop since last night.

My favourite part in Tsuikou is of course the part when Keiko's vocals is the most prominent just after the 3 min mark.  :)  I really have always liked her parts the most in a Kalafina song.  Even before I knew who Kalafina was and back when I was only a casually interested in Kajiura Yuki's music, I accidently discovered Kalafina's songs just after they released the Red Moon album, every single time I listened to their songs, I would catch myself waiting for the moment the contralto sings.  Weeks later when I had been well and truly infected by the Kajiura Yuki virus, I went and read up more about Kajiura Yuki, FictionJunction and Kalafina and then it was then that I knew that the contralto is Keiko.  Till today, while I love all the vocalists in Kalafina, I still find myself waiting for Keiko's moments, whether it's when her voice rings out loud and clear or whether it's simply her singing a counter melody or even when she's merely shadowing behind Hikaru or Wakana.  I really like Keiko's voice and the way she sings.... I can't get enough. :)

Misterioso is the 3rd song on this single and it's okay.  But sounds more like something that was written to be an instrumental in an anime and then had lyrics written to it to make it a song.  Kajiura Yuki has done that several times before.  These songs aren't bad and I like them enough.  So while I think Misterioso and these kinds of song aren't bad, they usually don't end up being my favourite ones.

For some reason, I always end up doing these unboxing posts so late at night... arrrgggh... need to dash through them again.  So without too much ado... here are the photos.

First up... the postcards that come with the First Press release.  This time we get TWO postcards.  NICE!! :)



Regular Edition:

 

And yes, this time I decided to also get the Regular Edition because I knew that Keiko's solo photo will be in the RE.  So there it is... a nice close of Keiko's picture to round of the photo set for the RE. =D

And since I was going to get the RE, I decided to just get the whole set and the LE+DVD as well. Previously, I would only get the LE+BD and the LE Anime version if they had that too.  It wouldn't be fair to Wakana if I didn't get the LE+DVD for her solo photo too. =D  Kidding... I really want to support Kajiura Yuki, FictionJunction and Kalafina which is why I am doing this.  =)

Limted Edition + DVD

 

I forgot to shoot photos of the front and back of the LE+DVD with the shrink wrap still on. :(

Limited Edition + Blu-ray



The lyrics page is the same on all three singles so I didn't shoot a photo of it when I shot photos for the Limited Eiditons.

Next up, the Anime Limited Edition...

    

We get two Precious Memories cards with the Anime LE. :)  That's cool... at first I wasn't sure if it was one of two in each Anime LE single and whichever one you get is random.  So it's two cards... nice. :)  I really like the illustration of Akemi Homura on the digipack too. :)

Okay... I need to head of to bed soon... but before I do that... two things.

First, the links again... if you can afford it, please do buy the singles. Here are the links for your convenience.

Kimi no Gin no Niwa Limited Edition w/Blu-ray (BD will contain the PV of the theme song)
Kimi no Gin no Niwa Limited Edition w/DVD (DVD will contain the PV of the theme song)
Kimi no Gin no Niwa Anime Limited Edition (limited time release, till Feb 2014)
Kimi no Gin no Niwa Regular Edition

And secondly... I will leave you with these photos of Kalafina. :)  I hope Kajiura Yuki and Kalafina will keep bringing us many, many, many more years of awesome music. :)

 

Good night and I hope you enjoyed my rambling unboxing post. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love Keiko's voice so much (and it doesn't hurt that she's freaking gorgeous, too) she's my favorite vocalist in all of Kajiura projects next to Kaori Oda. Great review, and thank you for the unboxing pics.

just me said...

Hi Annoymous,

Hahaha... I'm glad we agree on Keiko. :D Thanks for leaving such a nice comment too, drop by again when you have time. :)

cheers

ClaraS said...

I couldn't agree more with what you said about Keiko's solo in Kimi no Gin no Niwa :D I really like how her voice getting stronger at the end of the solo :)
I got the BD and the Normal ver. may be end up getting the DVD ver. later :)

just me said...

Hello ClaraS,

It's been a while, how are you? :)

Yeah Keiko is awesome. :) I was just waxing lyrical about Keiko to a colleague yesterday after introducing Kalafina to her. She liked Magnolia A LOT and liked Keiko in there too. So I introduced more Kalafina and Keiko centric songs to her and she liked them all. That kinda made me happy. :P

This is the first time I have bought all the versions of a Kalafina single on day of release. The only other single that I have all versions of is Moonfesta but I bought the DVD LE and RE at deep discounts.

I think I have been well and truly bitten. :D

Off to work, hopefully I will be able to update the blog during this weekend... but it's busy days again. :(

cheers :)

ClaraS said...

Hi~ I am good thanks! Been super busy with work and moving but finally slowing down now! Although still no internet at home yet.. YoY

Wow that's super awesome that your colleague likes Kalafina and Keiko! I would be super happy if I found someone around me like Kalafina/FJ !

I was just organizing all by CDs and goods, and realized again that most of them are Kalafina/FJ lol. I do love them a lot!!


I just found out about a mobile game called Jubeat has Kalafina's song recently, but darn of course it's for Japan! I have a rooted phone and used to be able to get in the Japan play store but not anymore :( those market enabler things are getting complicated... I'll see if I can find the .apk file once I have internet at home!

O,super look forward to the consolation BD, few more weeks! (actually one more month plus shipping lol)
See ya later!

just me said...

Hello again ClaraS :)

Oh... you moved... well I am glad things are slowing down for you. :) No internet... that must be hard... it would be hard for me not to have internet at home. :(

Yeah... I have been trying to get my colleagues and friends to like Kajiura Yuki, FJ and Kalafina. Sometimes I succeed. YAY!!! :D But in the end, the only one who's that crazy a fan... it's just me. :P

I sometimes think some of my colleagues are "afraid" to ask me about them because I could talk on and on about them. :D

So yeah... I am like you... I do love them loads!! :)

Jubeat... oh.... I vaguely remember seeing it on twitter. I didn't know what Jubeat was and was busy at work then and completely forgot about it.

Oh... I wanna play!!! Maybe I'll try and find the apk when I have time. If I do manage to find it, I'll let you know. :)

I can't wait for the BD too!!! Soon!!! :)

K... off to bed... cheers and have a good week!! :)