description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ~ Singapore screening


Today, I watched the Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - Rebellion movie at Cineleisure and I loved it. :)  I was suppose to go with 7 other friends but one of them fell ill and could not make it. :(  Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone to take over that ticket and it had to go to waste. :(

the Madoka booth on level 5 Orchard Cineleisure, SG
I want to write up something real quick because I know some people will go to the screening tomorrow and maybe they would like to see what the merchandise looks like before deciding if they want to buy anything.  I loved the movie but I may not write too much about the movie itself tonight... maybe another night or maybe after I watch it for the 3rd time after I get my BD in April. :)  For now, this will be another pretty picture heavy post. :P

my haul for today :)
Okay real quick... here goes.

All those who bought a ticket to the screening will get a special shikishi.  There are 5 different shikishis and I already have 2 of them from the screening from last year.  I wrote a post about it earlier... click me if you're interested in that post.

This time I managed to get ALL 5 of them and because several of my friends did not want their's, I now am the happy owner of a full set of shikishi. :D

Here are the photos of the shikishis. :)

   

I was struggling between getting the Kyubey smartphone stand or the Charlotte smartphone stand but in the end, I decided to go with Kyubey.

Here are photos of the phone stand.  I also stuck it to my old motorola milestone phone but because the batteries aren't charged, the phone had to remain off.

   

The above are the unboxing photos for the Kyubey phone stand.  I put my trusty 3DS LL with Kyubey for a size comparison. :)

  

The above are photos of Kyubey in action. :)

Here are numerous photos of the very nice pamphlet. :)



First, here is a photo of my trusty 3DS LL doing size comparison duty again. :)

  

These are photos of the back of the pamphlet. The little slip of cardboard that helps hold the cover in place is secured by a cute sticker.



I forgot to take a photo of the front of the pamphlet but good thing I did take a photo of it when I was at the cinema earlier, so I don't have to get up from my chair to take another photo of it... I'm lazy that way. :P

               

The above are some photos of the contents in the 44 page pamphlet (page count excludes the covers). There are also interviews with Shinbo Akiyuki, Urobuchi Gen,  Miyamoto Yukihiro, Aoki Yume, Saitou Chiwa and Aoi Yuki.  They also included some of the artwork for the character designs and Gekidan Inu Curry's art work.



And I just had to take a photo of the credits with Kajiura Yuki's and Kalafina's names printed on the page. The biggest reason why I decided to check out this anime is because Kajiura Yuki wrote the OST for the anime.  I didn't bargain on falling in love with the anime as well. :)  I really, really, really like listening to Kajiura Yuki's soundtrack in the cinema and Kalafina's Kimi no Gin no Niwa sounded so epic blasting over the speakers too. :)

The first time I saw this film was when I was in Japan.  I watched it on opening day with 3 other friends, one of whom is Japanese.  It was really hard to understand this film without English subtitles.  Even my Japanese friend had trouble understanding the story.  I knew then that we had to watch this movie again with English subs and that I must be prepared to pay full attention while watching it.

On second viewing, I must say that the film isn't hard to understand at all but you have to pay attention.  The English subs were very helpful because it really helped us to focus on the story and what was being said.  I went with quite a few people who have not yet watched the anime series and the 2 preceding films but they all understood the story.  I was quite worried that they might not like it and be confused like they were after the Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin screening the other day but I was pleasantly surprised to find that of the four of those who have not seen the anime series before watching this film, three of them LOVED it and have decided to watch the anime series too.  The other one may not have loved the film but he liked it and enjoyed it. :) They were googling for the anime immediately after the screening when we were having a late lunch and drinking coffee.  They all loved Kajiura Yuki's music and Kalafina's ending theme song. And one of them has asked me to help her purchase the limited edition BD boxset. :)  Yay... I helped to create more Madoka fans today. :P

Okay... time for me to go... before I do... for those who wish to purchase this on home video.  You are welcome to use the place I usually get my stuff from.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion [w/ Bonus Blu-ray+CD, Limited Edition] 

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion BD [Regular Edition]

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion  DVD [Regular Edition]

CLICK ME to see what the Limited Edition BD set gives you.

For those who may read this post before you watch the film tomorrow... I hope you enjoy it as much as we did today.  ALSO... make sure you stay till after the end credits roll, there is a small scene after that and really, you should stay even if there isn't a scene because you'll be listening to Kalafina's awesome Kimi no Gin no Niwa. :P

cheers :)

6 comments:

Stripey said...

That's a nice haul! And kudos to you making more Madoka fans!

Once again really appreciate your effort for putting out the word on this movie. Thanks to that, me and couple more anime buddies were able to enjoy this show in a theatre setting. :)

Kajiura's score really shone in this movie. And wow the Mami fight scene was awesome. Mami remains my fav girl in the series.

Here's hoping to more anime movies coming to Sg! :)

Wei Hao said...

Is the movie related to the anime series?

just me said...

Hi Stripey,

*blush ... you are welcome... :)

I'm glad you and your friends made it to the movie. :)

Yeah... the score was really, really good. It's a really good franchise for Kajiura to work on because it gives her opportunities to write different and varied music. IMO, the music in Rebellion is probably the best yet in the Madoka franchise.

I'm glad Madoka's anime isn't like Sword Art Online, I think Kajiura wasn't used to her fullest potential, nor was she stretched at all in that series.

Definitely fingers crossed for more anime movies in SG!! :)

Next up for me will be ufotable's Majocco Shimai no Yoyo to Nene... maybe Hunter x Hunter if my friend really wants to go and after that Ghibli's Kaze Tachinu.

After that... hope there will be more... I'm really hopeful now since KnK: Mirai Fukuin made it to SG, I'm hoping AnoHana and Nanoha's movies will come too. And I would still like Evangelion 3 and Captain Harlock to come.

I'll probably also watch the live-action version of Kuroshitsuji too when it screens in SG.

:)

just me said...

Hi Wei Hao,

Yes, the movie is related to the anime series. Some of my friends who watched the movie with me haven't watch the series yet and they said they understood what was going on. Still, I think you'll get the most out of the movie if you've seen the series first.

:)

Stripey said...

Haha, I'll go absolutely nuts if they brought in the Anohana or Nanoha As movie. Fingers crossed too.

On Kajiura's SAO score, honestly, not her best work :P My favourite would be SWORDLAND but that's pretty much it. Am very glad she hasn't lost her touch after hearing Rebellion's score. :)

just me said...

LOL :)

I like Nanoha and so does a close friend of mine. If the Nanoha movies come, we'll definitely go.

I haven't watched Anohana yet. :P But I know it's sad... which is why I have been avoiding it because I don't feel like watching a sad story just yet. :P

But if the Anohana movie comes, I'll definitely watch the series before I go.

Much as I LOVE Kajiura Yuki, I have to agree that the SAO score isn't her best work. :( It was underwhelming. :( I'm actually not a fan of the anime as well. I don't understand why it's so popular in Singapore. Only the first arc was really good, the second arc wasn't very good and by the time I hit ep21 I lost so much interest I have yet to finish that anime.

Yeah... I am really glad she came back really strong with a fantastic score for Rebellion... I think the best of all the Madoka Magica scores to date. :)