description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Anime Festival Asia 2012 ~ Singapore - comments part 1


(photo courtesy AFA)

I would like to write a longer post about my experience at the AFA2012 this year.  I have tons I would like to write about and photos that I would like to put up.  But I am truly tired and I have to work tomorrow so I really would like to try and get to bed by 11pm or so.  Hence, first up, an over view of my experience.

In general, I really did enjoy myself at this year's AFA.  I have several regrets but these regrets are actually not really negatives.  In my opinion, the organisers for the AFA are going in the right direction... sort of.  Okay, there is room for improvement but then, there always is.  That said, I really would like to give credit where credit is due.

In spite of some organizational mistakes, some of them quite monumental too, this year's AFA was really pretty good.  It was packed to the brim with so much stuff, much of it free too, that it would be wrong of us fans not to acknowledge just how much effort that must have taken.  The festival has gone from something I easily completed in a few hours in a day last year to one where there were so many things going on, I had to make very difficult choices.  Last year, I walked the festival and attended the stage events and did everything I wanted so quickly, that I didn't even think that it was worth coming back for the 3rd day of the festival except that I had free tickets to the festival and stage events and Kalafina was singing that night.

I was lamenting to my friend after AFA2011 last year that the so called festival exclusives were all available online shops at one point in time in Japan.  This year, however, there were items at the Sword Art Online booth, the Mahou Shoujo Madoka booth and the 009 Re:Cyborg booth (I think) that are usually only available at events and online auction sites in Japan.

It's regrettable that I didn't get to do everything that I wanted to do... I still wish I managed to get Watanabe Shinichi's autograph and I wish that I could have gotten into the Sword Art Online booth but even so, I am happy.  I am happy that the AFA is becoming the kind of festival really worth going to for 2 full days.

Yes, things could have been done better but if you've ever done any kind of production work or event production work of some scale, you'll know that things always go wrong even for the most experienced of teams.  That's not making excuses for them but it's just me acknowledging just how horrid this job can be sometimes and me just wanting to encourage the organizers rather then simply tearing them down.

I would like to write more about the fun stuff that I managed to attend, the fun stuff that I missed :( and some of the not fun stuff that happened for everyone but all that will come in a later post.  For now... let's leave it at... AFA2012 was really quite good and I hope that next year's will be even better.  Otsukaresamadeshita guys!!! Good job and I hope that all the experience gained this year will be put to good use for next year's event... and bring in Kalafina and/or Kajiura Yuki (with FictionJunction & the Front Band Members) to SINGAPORE please!!!! :D

Arrrrggghhhh... it's past 11pm.... bedtime now. :)

5 comments:

shangyou said...

I'm finally back home and finished unpacking all the stuff I got~! :D
I have a total of 11 autographs hehe. Also, I had no idea that Watanabe Shinichi was giving autographs omg. o_o
I was desperately trying to find a way to get Sphere and T.M.Revolution's autographs as well, but I was unsuccessful. T_T
BTW, I'm so glad I didn't manage to sell the concert ticket last night. The concert was surprisingly amazing. Minami Kuribayashi and Sphere were so much more awesome than I expected them to be! I was so tired but when Minami Kuribayashi began to sing the Gundam AGE ending theme, I was instantly 100% awake again haha. That was the only song I knew throughout the entire night though. Sphere sang covers of lots of songs from many popular animes but I didn't watch any of them before. X_X

just me said...

Hello Shangyou,

WOW!!!!! 11 autographs?!?!?!? That's quite an accomplishment. I managed a grand total of ZERO autographs and didn't even make it into the Sword Art Online booth.

I'm glad you enjoyed Sunday night's concerts too. :) I saw Minami Kuribayashi in concert at the AFAMY in June. She's good. I enjoyed watching her.

Actually, I don't know a lot of the songs most of the singers sing at anisong. I'm really primarily a Kajiura Yuki fan and because of that I'm particularly in love with FictionJunction and Kalafina. :D

My biggest regret right now was that I did not go back into the festival on Sunday. I was bored on day 2 of AFA12 last year so I decided that I didn't have to go back for the 2nd day of the festival since Kalafina, Kajiura Yuki, FictionJunction and angela were not going to be performing that night.

Now I wish I had planned on going because I just didn't have time to do a lot of stuff that I would I have liked to have done on Day 2 of AFA. Dang it... next year, I'll have to plan on to the festival for both days. :)

shangyou said...

Huhhh! Minami Kuribayashi was at AFAMY?! I think you got her confused with Maon Kurosaki! O_O

Anyway, yes! 11 autographs haha. I'm very surprised at how many things there were to do at AFA this year and I didn't even have the time to completely look through all the booths because I had so many other things to do. Like catching butterflies (which BTW, failed horribly for me because I couldn't get a 3G signal inside the hall at all), collecting freebies from certain booths, queuing for autographs, queuing for Ichiban Kujis, and even queuing just to enter shops.

This is how my entire Saturday was eaten up without even leaving any time for me to buy anything from any booths. (Copied and pasted from my blog post.)

*START*
Saturday Morning - Madoka screening!

Saturday Afternoon
(The queuing time for each artist ranged from as short as 20 minutes to even 1 hour+.)

1:30 PM - Went for Flow's autograph session @ the Amuse booth!

3:30 PM - Went for Babymetal's autograph session @ the Amuse booth!

4:00 PM - Went for Aimi's autograph session @ the Bushiroad booth! Aimi asked me how my day was. That made my day. :) Then I went for Hachoiji-P's autograph session @the Sony Music Japan booth!

5:00 PM - Collected my LiSA autographed poster from LiSA herself @ the AFA autograph booth! Went for Daisuke Kishio's autograph session @ the Horipro booth after that! Then I bought a Lis-Ani magazine and got an autograph from the Editor-in-Chief @ the Lis-Ani booth!

6:00 PM - Went for May'N's autograph session @ the Horipro booth! Then went for dinner after that~

Saturday Night - Anisong Concert!
*END*

To be honest, I wasn't really a fan of any of those performers (I liked LiSA thanks to Fate/Zero, but wasn't a fan per-se). However, I am not one to refuse autographs, and something about meeting famous people just makes me feel happy and optimistic haha. After Saturday's concert though, I became a LiSA fan for real! :3

just me said...

Hahahaha... oh dear... Yes... I suppose I did mean Maon Kurosaki. :) I'm terrible with names and more so because I'm actually not a fan of most anisong singers/bands except for Kalafina, FictionJunction and Angela. I like Utada Hikaru, Angela Aki and Yui and own albums for all these signers/groups and also own one Flow album and one L'arc en Ciel album. But that's about it. :)

I'm still stunned by the number of autographs you managed to get. :) I'm a huge Madoka fan so my priority was always the movie... unless Kalafina, Kajiura Yuki or FictionJunction was giving away autographs... then, and only then, would I not watch the Madoka movie to go stand in line. :)

To be honest, I still don't consider myself a fan of any of the singers/bands even after the concerts. But I did move favourably towards Flow after seeing them live for the first time at AFAMY and I have moved favourably towards LiSA after the live at AFA12. LiSA is good to watch live but I'm still exactly a fan of her music, so I still won't buy her albums but would be happy to watch her live again.

So far... I'm still a happily obsessed Kajiura Yuki, FicitonJunction and Kalafina fan... hahahaahaha.... :)

And yes, that iButterfly thing failed for me too because I also had a horrendous time trying to get a 3G signal in that hall.

just me said...

correction:

LiSA is good to watch live but I'm still *NOT exactly a fan of her music, so I still won't buy her albums but would be happy to watch her live again.