description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Monday, July 06, 2015

Kalafina ~ One Light - tv size - first impressions


The first episode of the new season of Arslan Senki just aired and so I've been able to listen to the tv size version of One Light. :)

First, as always, I am pleased to hear a new song from Kalafina and Kajiura Yuki. :)

When I saw the 15 sec CM, I rather liked the chorus bit they played and after watching the 1:30 min version, I still like that chorus.

Initial impressions.....
Another really fast song from Kalafina.  They've had a few fast ones lately. It's kind of different from Kalafina's usual stuff though.  It's perhaps more pop then their usual stuff but with their usual signature harmony running throughout the song which makes it different from the usual pop songs out there.

(update 1:42 am)
On listening to it again, it's not really that pop either... more rock maybe... progressive rock?  Not quite as hard as Heavenly Blue though.  Ahhhhhh.... I'm bad with categorization. It's growing on me... really liking that chorus now. I'll probably end up quite liking this at least because of that chorus which I'm really liking.  It maybe like Ring Your Bell for me which wasn't instant love for me too but I quite like it now.

I'm not sure how I feel about the song on the whole right now.  Its one of those I'll need time to absorb.  I'm not so sure of the opening to the song....need to listen to it more.  I don't dislike it, just not what I was expecting. :)  I'm leaning positively to it in general just not instant adoration.

For the Keiko fan, like me... again, it seems that Keiko gets very few all out Keiko moments.  It's been kind of a pattern lately.  Snatches here and there where you'll hear may be a clear line or two but nothing like Alleluia or Symphonia or even To the Beginning where she's mostly leading or she gets huge portions where the other two support her..  I know there was Lapis which is one of their more recent B-side songs.  But Believe, Ring Your Bell, Koibito no Mukashigatari no Yuugure no, In Every Nothing, Heavenly Blue etc etc.. all just snatches of Keiko.

Well, I know I am biased because Keiko is my favourite vocalist in Kalafina so I would like to hear her clearly every so often and not always mixed under Wakana and Hikaru.  So yes, I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed we don't have more clear Keiko moments.  I think she had half a line at the beginning? (edit: She has one full line in the beginning) She wasn't that discernible in the chorus too. Hopefully, she'll get more in the latter half of the song.  Maybe the bridge like in Magia... now that bridge was magical for me. :D

Ahhhhh... the pain of a Keiko fan. :P  She's everywhere in almost all their songs which is nice and I like her support work a lot too, after all, it was those snatches of Keiko in some of their earlier songs that drew me to Kalafina and made me a Kalafina and Keiko fan.  I didn't start out by listening to Oblivious and Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku so it was different for me.

Ah... well, it can't be helped.  Kajiura Yuki knows best how to use her vocalists to enhance her songs and I rather she sticks to doing what she believes is the best way to express her creative visions than have her pander to us fans.  I'll just have to wait for the next Lapis, Alleluia, Symphonia, Magnolia etc to get my Keiko fix. :)

Meanwhile, I wait in anticipation for the full version of this song and will listen to One Light again. :)

No comments: