description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Saturday, January 15, 2011

magia - kalafina cd covers



The covers for Kalafina's latest cd single release are out. The first picture on the left is the cover for the regular edition of Magia, the end theme song for Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika anime. The middle picture is the limited edition which comes with a dvd and the last picture is of the anime edition.

I must say I quite like these new cd covers and the new look that the girls are sporting. Keiko does look quite striking with the short hair which gives her what seems to me a European gentry air, a la Kristen Scott Thomas in Four Weddings and a Funeral. She looks nothing like Scott Thomas but for some reason when I first saw these pictures, I just thought that. :)

I actually rather like Keiko's stiff and upright poses and liked it very much that she looks intently at the camera in both photos. Her poses remind me very much of studio silver gelatin prints (at least I think they are silver gelatin, or maybe they were on plates, my photo history sucks) of upper crust Europeans in the early days of studio portraiture photography when the subjects had to remain very still during photo taking, hence often acquiring a stiff look in the photos.

For some reason, Keiko just seems to me to have the most old world European feel of the 3 girls in these photos which actually is really quite a perfect match for the the old world European gothic image that Kalafina has. Hikaru in the centre probably comes next closest to that feel, especially in the cover for the limited edition.

Aside from the colour photo, the clothing design too will immediately signal that this is not old world nor is it trying to be a replica of old europe. It's more like a strange pastiche of styles which works for me. This particular look, especially Keiko's jacket design with the stiff broad shoulders makes me think Sci-fi Fantasy. The shoulder pads and that very proper posture... just makes me think evil imperial officer or arrogant little princess in a galaxy far far away or something. Hahahaha...

Of course I could be just spouting crap since I'm a little high on medication :) or maybe because I never really took to their previous image which seemed more Romani inspired.

K, think I am going to go look for a bed and sleep for a bit... must be the medication and lack of sleep... ... ... :)

No comments: