description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Friday, January 07, 2011

magia is magic



I just watched the opening of Puella Magi Madoka Magica and heard Kalafina's song Magia again. And I am happy cuz Magia is magic. It is better than I remembered it from the live.

I did remember correctly that it is different from most of Kajiura Yuki's songs, especially her more recent stuff. It's definitely heavier and it begins with a rousing drum and heavy electronic guitar sequence accompanied by some violin and Kalafina's soaring vocals before dropping to a much deeper register. At the live, I remembered the drum sequence more because I was standing at the side where the drummer was located.

I must say even though I know all of them are singing deeper than usual and the deepest voice must be Keiko who is the contralto in Kalafina, still, even the alto sounds more like Keiko then Hikaru who is the alto. It may simply be that I seldom hear Hikaru sing that low while I am accustomed to Keiko singing that low and lower. Maybe that's why at the live I felt that Keiko's voice seemed to come out strongest. Anyway, that's really not that important to me, just an odd observation. :)

I really like this song and being a Kajiura, FictionJunction, Kalafina fan, I have of course pre-ordered the single. :) And I look forward to watching this anime once it has been subtitled. The opening transformation sequence reminds me of Mai Hime which was pretty dark in parts for a magical schoolgirl anime. Mai Hime was one of favourite animes ever and I still collect Hime figures whenever I can find them. Puella Magi Madoka Magica's open is also pretty dark for a mahou shoujo anime, it looks like something I might enjoy.

Ahhhh... this just makes me want to go to the Kalafina's Spring lives in Japan even more. I have been trying very hard to resist the temptation because I just don't know if I should be taking leave in April. I am saving now for my next trips. So I definitely can travel at least once, maybe even twice this year. :) We'll see, maybe there will be a FictionJuntion live later in the year and I could go for that instead even though after the Kalafina live in december I have been super interested in going to another Kalafina live.

Going to Japan again this year is very much on the cards. And all my saved money from my packed lunches is going there... hahaha... I miss Japan and I would like to see my friends again and if possible another live and travel to another part of japan I have yet to visit. That would be perfect. :)

On btw, I did buy the blogger-droid ap. It works great and is perfect for my new schedule as I now mostly mobile blog as that is the only real time I have for blogging and since I have a limitless data plan in the milestone, I don't have to care about bandwidth which is what I would need to consider if I mobile blogged from my SE cell phone. K, need to go. Changing trains now. Please excuse any grammatical and spelling errors. Will not proof read till I get home after work. :)

1 comment:

just me said...

damn, just noticed the auto correct made an annoying change. it is mahou not mahmoud. ... will change that at work cuz that would bug me. the only downside to this ap is that it won't allow me to edit my post successfully. i could do it via the browser but i don't like to deal with the browser on a screen this small so it'll have to wait. grrrrr... :(