description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mooncakes



The mid-autumn festival is fast approaching again.  That means it's mooncake madness again. Yay! :)  I love mooncakes and I have a particular fondness for the snowskin versions.  I love going to Takeshimaya during this time of the year because a lot of the hotels and bakeries will set up stall there and I get to sample tons of stuff and check out all the funky new flavours.

There are quite a few funky new flavours this year and I wanted to buy so many of them.  In the end though, common sense prevailed and I settled for Peony Jade's durian, chempadek and soursop snowskin mooncakes.  They use real fruit and the samples I tried tasted super good.  I kind of regret not getting the Yuzu flavour as well as one of the traditional Teochew mooncakes.  The chefs who used to make the famous traditional Teochew mooncakes at the Crown Prince Hotel when it was still open have moved to Peony Jade so the traditional Teochew mooncakes should be super good too.

Technically though, I didn't pay for this year's mooncakes, my parents did. :) So I guess I can still afford to buy these mooncakes if I wanted to.  This year, I am saving for my trip to japan, so no green tea snowskins from East Ocean and Cranberry snowskins from Royal China. :(  Maybe next year. :)

2 comments:

YTSL said...

Beautiful pic -- and yeah, I love mooncakes. Miss the pandan flavored mooncakes one finds in Malaysia (and, I'm sure, also Singapore) but Hong Kong has lots of good mooncakes too. :)

just me said...

Hi YTSL,

Glad you liked the photo. :)

I saw several interesting flavours in HK when I was there recently but it was before the Seventh Month and it seemed weird to eat mooncakes so early so I didn't get any.

Yeah, I think that there are pandan flavoured mooncakes in Singapore too but I don't look out for them cuz I usually go straight for the green tea, cranberry and durian snowskins. :)

Eat lots of mooncakes in HK. :)