description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Friday, January 12, 2007

My Gundam

I'm at work =D now but have a little time to spare as I wait for things to happen before I get busy again. So thought I'll post up a little something.

I check out YTSL's blog Webs of Significance quite often. It's a good read and is updated quite often and if you've never been there, I encourage you guys to go check it out.

Anyway, the whole point of this is that she put a pix of her Hello Kitty collection in today's entry and that has inspired =D me to put pix of my Gundam model online.


(These were taken using my crappy cell phone camera under low light. I didn't own a digital camera when I took these pictures. I'll shoot better pictures soon and put them up.)

About a year or two ago, I found a place in Singapore that taught people how to make cool Gundam models and other miniature models. I have been putting Gundam and EVA models together and hand painting some of them for many years but none of them look as good as the ones on display. I've always wanted to learn how to do them that way when I chanced upon M Workshop in Sunshine Plaza. I read about them in one of the forums while looking for information on toy shops that taught one how to make models at a reasonable price and I made a trip down, talked to Bernard the owner of the shop and liked it tons so I signed up.

The guys at the M Workshop are very nice and very helpful, although they can be strict about modeling and cleaning the equipment and rightly so. I learnt a lot there because they'll really tell you what they think of your work instead of pretending that it is really good when privately they think it is crap. After I finished my model, I actually started on a second one but unfortunately, I quit my relatively cushy job back then and my new job made it impossible to continue. I still hope to one day buy an airbrush and compressor, although I may need to take a refresher course.

They also used to have an advance course and a diorama course which I think could be really fun to learn but I'm not sure if they are still running those classes. The guys at the M Workshop mostly do military stuff although they do have several Gundams. I'm not sure if they still teach those Gundam classes but if you live in Singapore and you're interested in learning how to make models, go check them out.

cheers

No comments: