description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Guizhou - entry 10

First let me apologize for labelling the previous Guizhou post wrong. This is "entry 10", the previous one should have been "entry 9". I have since corrected it.


The Huangguoshu Hotel (LC's photo)

While I didn't quite like the food in China most of the times, I liked several of the hotels we stayed in on this trip even though most of them were 3 star hotels. The only 4 star hotel we stayed in was the Wuyue Hotel in Guiyang.

One of the things I found different about the hotels we stayed in was that several of them had rooms that have 3 beds in them already. Before I actually stayed in one in Guizhou, I have only encounted hotels where they have had a maximum of two beds and if you wanted a third, they would wheel in some flimsy bed and that would be that.

Well, the Wuyue Hotel and the Huangguoshu Hotel both had rooms with 3 equally nice single beds. In fact, the only time we had to decide who gets to sleep on the flimsy third bed was, if I'm not wrong, the Hua Cheng Xing Long International which was a sort of resort-like hotel by the Hongfeng Lake.

The next day, after breakfast, we began the second day of our trip to Guizhou. First we were off to check out the Beipan River Bridge and to view the gorge just under the bridge.

According to this web page, the bridge is 388m long and spans the gorge at its "most thrilling spot," where it is 405m deep. Check out this link for a picture of the Beipan River Bridge and it's surroundings on a clear day.

It was extremely foggy when we got to the bridge and visibility was quite low. We only walked across the bridge and we never stopped anywhere to get a full view of the bridge so if you're interested, check out that picture I mentioned above.

The truth is, this wasn't one of the more memorable locations for me. It was okay and the gorge was deep but there are more spectacular suspension bridges. If we had been able to view it from a distance, like the photographer who look that picture in the link I provided above, we might have taken a more favourable view of the bridge. But alas...

That said, if you happen to pass by the bridge while on your way to another destination, it is worth the short walk and a couple of photos.

Check out the photos I took of the bridge and the gorge.

View of the bridge from the side we began our walk across.


Several houses by the side


Views of the gorge



Walking on the bridge


Nearing the other end


The other side


That's it for the Beipan River Bridge. In the next post, I'll talk about the titillatingly named the "Dual Breast Peaks" (Shuang Ru Feng). =)

cheers

No comments: