description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Sunday, January 14, 2007

My Gundam - nicer pictures

After I got back from the karaoke session very early Saturday morn, I was still too awake to sleep so I pulled out my DSLR and took some pictures of the Gundam I made with some help from my sifu and Bernard from the M Workshop.

So I'm finally done preping the pictures and here are nicer pictures as promised.

Front views




Detail shots of the feet.



Detail shots of the gun.



Back shots


Top shots



The separate pieces of this model were painstakingly and carefully cut out, filed and sandpapered before they were put together, putty put in the cracks and then further filed down. The pieces were than primed before a black undercoat was airbrushed on before the two shades of blue were added. The metallic looking bits were dry-brushed with metallic ink.

You can see that I made several mistakes on the model.

1) I was told by my sifu to make sure I airbrushed the black paint on the inside of he model, not just the outside. As you can see, I failed to listen to his advice so instead of getting the illusion of shadow on the inside of the model, I get ugly red which is the actual colour of the body of this model was suppose to have.

2) I didn't airbrush the base colour well enough as some of the red of the plastic under the paint still manages to show up.

3) I didn't sandpaper parts of this model well enough and if you look closer at the pictures legs, you can see fine scratches on the plastic where it should be completely smooth.

4) I didn't putty and sand some of the cracks well enough. The most glaringly obvious one is once again on the legs. If you look at the pictures of the back of the legs and compare the legs, you can tell that there is an obvious crack on the left leg (model left, picture right). I didn't use enough putty.

The rest of the model is more or less okay. I'm quite pleased with this model even though I know it has a few mistakes. I learnt more about art and painting than I've ever learnt and I enjoyed that. I also really enjoyed working with my hands. It was not easy making this model at all and I spent weeks and weeks on it and my shoulder and back would hurt from too much bending over and filing at times but it was all worth it as in the end, this model is definitely the most beautiful one I've ever made to date.

Right, that's it for me. I'll probably make an entry on Guizhou next, hopefully sometime tomorrow.

cheers =)

No comments: