description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Guizhou - entry 15

After our boat ride on the lake who's name I don't know, we made our way to visit the Buyi Tribe (also click here for more information). A relatively large percentage of Guizhou's population is made up of minority tribes. According to wikipedia, about 37% of the population is made up of minorities.

We were scheduled to visit two minority groups on this trip. The first one we visited was the Buyi Tribe and later on the trip, we'll visit one of the Miao groups too.

After we got off our buses, we were greeted with the sounds of the Buyi girls' beautiful and melodious singing. We couldn't see them at first as they were up a flight of stairs and hidden from our view.



A group of young girls from the Buyi Tribe were standing at the top of the steps and as each of us made our way up the stairs and approached the girls, we were presented with the traditional meeting gift which is a small cup of wine that they brew themselves. I took a big sip of the wine when it was presented to me and it was sweet and quite pleasant. Unfortunately, as I was still suffering from flu, the wine made me feel a little ill.


(LC's shots of the performance)

After the singing and dance performance, which was really rather good IMO, some of us walked up a few flights of steps to the top of the hill the Buyi village was build on to get a view of the surrounding scenery. I think Xiao Ou said that on a clear day, we could get a pretty good view of the Dongfeng Ling but don't take my word for it as I was a little woozy and I didn't even make it up the hill so I'm not sure if she said "Dongfeng Ling" or something else. Sadly, I had to stop part of the way and return to the bus to take a little break and to escape the cold.

I did manage to take a few shots of the drops of water on the grass and flowers along the steps up the hill and I also took a few shots of some incomprehensible signs which are quite hilarious.





LC and HT did make it up the hill but they said I missed very little as it was too foggy and they didn't see very much. LC shot a couple of pictures and I'll post two up for your viewing pleasure.


(LC's shots at the top of the hill)

After this it's off to the very scenic Wanfenglin but I'll leave that to a later entry.

For now, it's good night and I hope you enjoy these photos.

No comments: