description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

just me dreams of VFX


It is another late night at the office and I am a little tired. I wonder how Jiro in Jiro Dreams of Sushi does it. I just watched the film last night and rather like it. It is really beautifully shot and all the food, in particular the sushi, is shot with loving care. It made me really want to eat good sushi immediately after the movie

The movie itself did a really good job at showing who Jiro really is and his philosophy in life. While Jiro's ideas may seem old fashion, strangely enough, I kind of identified with him.

Jiro is luckier them me in one respect and that is that he found the one thing he wanted to devote his life to very early in his life. I only knew that I wanted to be in the film industry but it really did take me a long time and many different kinds of jobs in the industry before I finally found the kind of work I am willing to devote the rest of my life at perfecting.

What Jiro says is true, you must fall in love with your work. I love VFX. I have put in so much over-time since the beginning of the year that if you calculated it per hour, I would be seriously underpaid. But for me, it isnt about the money. Even with all that over-time, i was never unhappy about it. I really like what I do and sometimes I can feel so tired and perhaps a little frustrated but ultimately, in the end, the only thing I really want to do right now is VFX. :)

Today, I learnt a great deal at work. I spent a lot of time during the last two days cleaning up markers in my second prep shot this year. Sadly, during the late morning review of my work-in-progress, I was told that the method I was using was not the best. Hence, a lot of what I had already done, i have to re-do. :( But it is cool, my supervisor thought me a ton of things today and I spent the rest of the day fixing it. I am not finished with the fixes but I am really tired now... so it is off to home and some dinner first and then some rest and relax. :)

Maybe this is why I like Kajiura Yuki and Keiko so much. Yes, I can somehow turn even seemingly unrelated posts towards Kajiura Yuki or Kalafina or FictionJunction. :)

From what I can tell from interviews etc, Kajiura lives and breathes music. I bet you Kajiura dreams of music too. As for Keiko, it seems like she is the most hard-working of the three vocalists in Kalafina and from what I can tell from the Kalafina Record interviews, she is also the one who thinks the most for Kalafina as a group. I like that about Keiko. I like it that she is so passionate about her work. I like it that she is hard working and devoted to her work. I wonder if Keiko dreams of Kalafina lives? :)

As for me, I dream of VFX. I dream of dust busting, marker removal, rotoscoping, node graphs... Some people might think I am stressed out by it. But i don't see it that way. Jiro dreams of sushi. I dream of VFX. And i hope that I will always dream of VFX. :) Someday, like Jiro, I hope to be at the top of my field too. And I want to always love my work, no matter what I do and how much I earn, I want to always dream of VFX. :)

p.s. the photo above is of my awesome healthy lunch... made by my awesome mum... my tea flask, filled everyday by my awesome dad, isnt in the photo unfortunately but it is there... daily sustenance for this silly dreamer. :)

No comments: