description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Retro Camera - android



Gosh, I really can't get enough of my new favourite camera app on my milestone.  Am currently in love with this app called Retro Camera.  The interface takes some getting used to and some may consider it a little clunky but I actually like it that they put pictures of the cameras and place your viewfinder in the middle. Kind of cute and gives you a more retro photographing feel in this age of digital cameras and their full screen previews.

This is an ad supported free app so since it's free, you can't ask for too much more.  But what I do hope the developers would do in the future, if they ever update this app, is to make their options and settings more responsive.  Each time I try to turn the flash option to "off", it always takes me several minutes and me tapping furiously on my touchscreen as I try to get the software to respond. 

Other than the above mentioned fix, more retro cameras besides the four provided would be cool.  The four current cameras are already very cool and mostly provide excellent photos given the limitations of digital and cel phone photography. That said, it doesn't hurt to have more choices. :)

The one thing I also like about the app is the parallax error I get when I use the Barbl and the Little Orange Camera.  Now it may be a bug, I honestly don't know, but if it is a bug, I love it.  Part of the fun and experience of shooting with plastic cameras is the happy accidents.  Except for Retro Camera, no other camera app has given me the feeling of shooting on film on my plastic camera with sand papered lens.  I like not knowing, I like the feeling of experimenting, I like the old retro feel this app gives.

Of course, the viewfinder issue and the not super quick processing time does mean that this is probably not the most appropriate app for some shooting situations. I certainly won't even suggest using this camera app for casual snap shots let  alone weddings, events etc.  But if you have time and are in the mood for some experimentation and, if you want to have a little taste of old school photography, it is very hard to go wrong with this app.  The results are some of the best I've seen for a cell phone app.  Anyway, it is free, so why not give it a shot? :)

3 comments:

just me said...

Hi Bogdan. Just checked out your blog. Unfortunately, I can't read Romanian. It looks like you get lots of visitors from all over the world thought. Nice. :)

Michael Rowland said...

I've been using my retro camera for a couple of months now. I like the challenge of the delay time, you don't know what you will end up with. I've put these photos on my blog. jazzleather.blogspot
Check it out.

just me said...

Hi Michael,

Just checked out your blogspot. Very nice... lots of nice and fun shots using retro camera, makes me want to shoot more with retro camera. :)