description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Portraits 5



As I wait for my comp to run through some maintenance software, I thought I would take the opportunity of some downtime to blog a little.

So here you go, a portrait of Horikita Maki. It doesn't look anything like her but it is a marked improvement over my failed Frank Lampard.  I began using a mix of the grid system and judging-by-proportion for this portrait.  But I realise after several hours of trying to get it right that I needed to convert to a full grid system and I needed to make the grid even tighter if I wanted more accuracy.

Unlike most of my classmates, I have absolutely no art background and was never very good at drawing.  I know that some of the reasons why we needed to learn portrait drawing was to train our powers of observation, our understanding of proportions in a face and nuances in lighting so I was determined to get as good as I possibly could before the end of our 3 month term.

The next portrait that I put up in a later post represents one of my proudest moments in portrait drawing. I'll put that up another day.  Going to go check on my comp and watch more video tutorials.  :)

2 comments:

sunsetrose said...

Hey, good job! If it is any consolation, this is WAY much better than what I can ever achieve. So kudos!

just me said...

Hahaha sunsetrose, to tell you the truth, once you know how to do it, anyone who has the required amount of patience can do this.

I can teach you how, then the rest is just practice, practice, practice. :)

Oh... and it'll take time to because all these were done on A3 paper and in the beginning the portraits would take me like 12 hours to do. Some of them took even longer because I re-did them.

By the time I did the last few portraits, I was averaging about 7-8 hours. The last portrait I did was kinda rushed because I neeed to hand it in with the portolio, so that one I'm not that pleased with.

Anyway... will put them all up over time and you can take a look. :)