description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Guizhou - entry 19


The caves from afar.

I'll be off to Juizhaigou in Sichuan, China in May so I've been thinking I should really try and get on with my Guizhou posts. The last time I left off, we were at the Dragon Palace Caves. After our visit to the Dragon Palace Caves, we made our way to Guanyin Dong (Goddess of Mercy Caves).


Entrance to the caves. A woman washing clothes in the river by the path leading to the caves.

The caves contain several statues of several deities and those who are believers in the tour group went ahead and offered incense and prayers. I'm not a believer so I just walked around and took a couple of photos.


A couple of pictures of the deities in the caves and of the sky outside the caves. We get a spot of blue sky today after days and days of cloudy, foggy grey.

The caves themselves aren't particularly interesting but the surroundings are quite nice and picturesque. Sadly, some of the kids at this location have been tainted by the arrival of tourists to their region as they asked for money if you happen to take a photo of them. =(


Photos of some of the kids who live in the houses surrounding the caves.

Anyway, there really isn't that much to say about this location and I don't think it's one of Guizhou's major attractions. It's probably one of those side trips the tour agencies throw in to fill out the itinerary in between the more popular and well-known locations.


Photos of the surrounding homes near the caves.


Plots of vegetables grow on land just outside the entrance to the caves and two photos of the house across the lake just outside the caves.

After this the guides took us to one of those obligatory shopping trips that the tour agencies always make you go on. This was actually the first of four shops we had to visit. This agency wasn't too bad, we only had to go to four during our 8 day tour. We visited a shop selling jade and LC, HT and I didn't take any photos of the shop. After that we had dinner and it was off to the hotel for a good night's rest.

Next time we return to Guizhou, we'll make a visit to an ancient Qing Town where we get to go on TV. =)

2 comments:

YTSL said...

Hope you'll respond to my tag for a meme (see my blog entry for April 15th) before you head off to Juizhaigou in May! ;)

just me said...

Just hopped over to your blog to check out that entry. Looks like fun. =) Will respond to it after I get through today. Horribly long day at work coming up. =(