description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Sunday, February 19, 2012

JRock Showcase- a-sketch special - Weaver / Applicat Spectra




http://www.jlive.asia/
- Sgd48 VIP, Sgd18 general standing

What my positive experiences at Kalafina lives and at the anisong event at AFA11 last year has given me is a real taste for live music events. In general, I am quite crowd adverse and never really liked paying the crazy expensive prices many of the concert tickets in Singapore can sometimes go for.

But for some strange reason, after seeing the poster of the Kalafina "Red Moon" Live in Hong Kong and knowing that they were so close yet so far away, I was filled with this obsession to see them live.  And so it was, in 2010, I somehow managed to plan my second visit to Japan and my first Kalafina live experience at the "Kagayaku ...." live.  That positive experience led me to brave the crowds at the Anime Festival Asia, an event I avoided previously because I don't like crowds, and it was there that i really fell further in love with watching Kalafina live. And it was also then that I fell in love with watching Angela live and perhaps it was at the final night of the anisong events at AFA11 that I really grew to appreciate the live event.

Hence, admittedly, I have a secondary agenda for getting tickets to watch Weaver and Applicat Spectra live.  Yes, it is on a Tuesday which is very inconvenient for working folks like me and I suspect that even the VIP seating is free sitting which I hate, but still, I am going.

If I am not wrong, the organizers of this event are the same people or some of the same people that organized AFA and they have promised that their first J-Live event is only a taste of things to come. While I was less than satisfied with the scope and scale of the festival itself last year, I did think that the anisong events were really pretty good and the stage events were good too. My reasons for going to this event are less for Applicat Spectra, which I actually rather like, and more to support anisong, Japanese music, anime and Japanese entertainment in Singapore.

Japanese music has had a following in Singapore for as long as I can remember. The size of this following changes in size depending on what's in and what's not in Singapore. I do feel though that in the last 5 years, or maybe even more, Japanese music hasn't fared as well in Singapore as several other types of music. Singapore and South East Asia were just not major concert destinations for Japanese bands, musicians and singers. Japanese CDs, dvds etc were also quite expensive compared to music and media from virtually everywhere else.

Perhaps J-Live can change that. The times, they are a-changing, and Singapore and the region has become more prosperous and quite able and willing to pay for events like these. If my and my four other friends' Sgd48 can in some way encourage more acts to come down, then I am happy to spend that money.

Perhaps... just maybe.... if they could somehow bring down Kalafina, FictionJunction and Kajiura Yuki for a live that includes no other artists.... I know I and quite a few other friends would be over the moon with joy. So yeah... my agenda for going for this event is as a show of support, not just for Applicat Spectra but also for future events which I hope will include not just my favourite vocal units but also Angela and other bands and singers I have yet to discover and experience.

So here's hoping this live will also be a wonderful experience and a nice appetizer before my trip to Tokyo and my first FictionJunction live. :)

No comments: