description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Monday, February 05, 2007

Guizhou - entry 17


Courtyard in the musuem

Been pretty busy with work lately, hence the absence of updates. Thought I'll pop in and just put up a quick update on my Guizhou trip.

First up, the Museum of Ethnic Marriages in Guizhou. Now, in my opinion, this is probably the most boring place we visited in our entire trip to Guizhou. Don't get me wrong, I like museums and have been known to visit the Singapore History Museum, the Lee Kong Chian Art Museum at the National University of Singapore and various other museums in other countries by myself. But this museum was really rather sad.

This museum is set in a rather nice location actually. The exhibits are housed in what used to be someone's residence and the classical Chinese architecture nicely compliment the exhibits they house.

Unfortunately, the musuem has a somewhat dusty and musty feel about it. The photos of the various ethnic groups look faded and there was dust on several exhibits which were quite uninspiringly laid out as well. It didn't help that there were no leaflets to help big groups of tourist straining to keep up with the museum guide's monotonous drone of information.

Anyway, I didn't take many photos of the place at all and I think if you're on a guided tour, you may be forced to go to this place but if you're visiting Guizhou by yourself, I suggest that you give this museum a skip.

Flowers in the garden


Street near the museum


Okay, that's it from me for today. Have a good week guys. =)

cheers

2 comments:

YTSL said...

What a pity re a museum being the most boring place you visited in your entire trip to Guizhou. And this especially when it's got quite the intriguing name... ;(

just me said...

I know. =( I like museums and at one point in time I even thought it would be cool to work for a museum. When I saw this on the schedule, I thought it would be kinda interesting. But sadly, this museum isn't very well taken care of at all and I think only the most avid of photographers in the group and those kids who needed to do school assignments on what they did during the vacation took more than the few photos needed to remember that we once visited this place.