description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 1st Oct 2024 / Sun Li Film & TV guide 13th May 2024

Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Chinese Drama: 足迹 (Zu Ji) - 杀青 - production wraps - write-up

 #TongYao #童瑶 #足迹 #RyanChengLei #丞磊 #LiuYijun #刘奕君 #CDrama 

Zu Ji’s official Weibo account has announced the completion of production. We still don't have an official English title for this series, so I'll keep calling it Zu Ji for now. As is often the case with Chinese drama series, they have also released stills and a video to celebrate the wrap-up.  Tong Yao looks stunning in the stills and videos; I hope the story will be just as good.

What is of greater interest to fans is the still below this paragraph. It seems my guess was correct. I wondered in a previous post if Tong Yao would play her character Yi Yi at different ages, given that her story is sandwiched between two others. Initially, I thought another actress might portray Yi Yi when she is older or younger than the Yi Yi Tong Yao plays in her timeline. However, the still below shows that she will at least make an appearance in the final story of this three-part anthology. The production team chose to use special makeup to age her significantly for the final part of the series.

The make-up looks pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how much screen time she has in the last story of the series.

Here is the video clip of the wrap video. I had a bit of time on my hands so I decided to subtitle the video. 

The production values look pretty decent. I don’t think the grade is final, but from what they’ve edited into the clip, it looks nice enough for Chinese dramas. The video was well put together, which, in my opinion, is always a good sign. I like how they use the music and the woman’s voice-over of historical events to provide a consistent link to all three stories.

I’m personally quite happy that Tong Yao is in the lead in the second story and not the first, as I originally thought. I’ve already watched her in The Rebel, which is set in a similar era, so the 50s setting is good because it’s different. 

From what I can tell from the scenes that have been cut in, this series could very well make good use of Tong Yao’s strong ability for nuanced acting. I quite like the scenes of her looking forlorn and melancholy by the sea. That juxtaposed very nicely with the next scene where she asked an interviewer with quiet defiance what he thought was wrong about her. The scenes with her co-star Liu Yijun were also very nice. They don’t say anything to each other, but you can tell from the subtle expressions in their eyes and their gaze that they have feelings for each other. I personally like these kinds of scenes.

The other two stories look intriguing enough, although I’m more drawn to Tong Yao’s story and the one after hers rather than the first one. China produces many dramas about resistance to the Japanese invaders in Shanghai during WWII, so those don’t immediately catch my interest. I think they star some young actors who have some popularity. I’m not sure, to be honest, because I don’t really keep up with entertainment news. The full cast list was also released with this announcement, and it was nice of the producers to include them in the video clip too, so I took the time to add subtitles with their names and their characters’ names as well.

I think this handsome chap is kinda popular.

I won't go into the other stories because the video is pretty self-explanatory and it's late and I'm tired. I'll just leave you with this final promo clip of Yi Yi and Wen Pu as we wait in anticipation for the release of Zu Ji.

If you wish to check out my Tong Yao guide, please click me.

No comments: