description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 27th Jun 2024 / Sun Li Film & TV guide 13th May 2024

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Chinese Drama: 足迹 (Zu Ji) - confirmed; videos Eng subtitled

 #TongYao #童瑶 #足迹 #CDrama

This confirmation is as solid as it gets. Tong Yao herself confirmed her role in this series through two Weibo posts on the morning of June 25th. Afterward, I checked to see if an official Zu Ji Weibo account had been set up, and indeed, it has. There is no official English title at the time of writing.

The official Weibo account shared images from the 开机 (start of production) ceremony, along with several videos. These videos include separate clips of cast members announcing their characters and a special video marking the beginning of production.

I have subtitled Tong Yao's clip which you can view below.

 
(I realised I made a mistake in the pinyin for Zu Ji in the subs but I'm too lazy to change it. 😅)

I have also subtitled the Start of Production SP video, which will introduce the cast and their roles, as well as provide short glimpses into some of the behind-the-scenes work. You can view that below.


I'm glad that I don't have to regret my previous post where I took a calculated risk and announced Tong Yao's involvement, even though it hadn't been officially confirmed at the time. However, I did make one mistake: Tong Yao won't be portraying Lin Siyun; instead, she'll play Yi Yi, Lin Siyun's niece.

Zu Ji is an anthology series, and Yi Yi's story falls between Lin Siyun's and Ye Xining's. This means Tong Yao might have guest-starring or supporting roles in the other timelines. There's also a possibility that her character will appear at different ages, portrayed by younger and older actresses, but we'll have to wait for more details.

Yi Yi's story is set in the 50s, and her male co-star during that period is Liu Yijun (刘奕君), a seasoned actor who will be familiar to regular viewers of Chinese drama series.

As for the script, not much is known yet beyond what I mentioned in my previous post. To recap, Tong Yao's character, Yi Yi, aspires to be a fashion designer but faces career and personal obstacles due to her status as a widow of a Kuomintang military officer.

Other confirmed co-stars include Ryan Cheng Lei (丞磊) and Jelly Lin Yun (林允) for the 30s storyline, and Wang Herun (王鹤润) and Yang Le (杨玏) for the 90s storyline.

I'm not certain that filming has started for the 1930s and 1990s timelines because the SP video didn't show the cast in costume. Only the cast in the 1950s were in costume. I like the wardrobe selection and Tong Yao looks beautiful in it.

The director, Chen Silin (张思麟), is relatively unknown to me, but the screenwriter, Wang Wanping (王宛平), has worked on series like Happiness as Flower (幸福像花儿一样) and 甜蜜蜜, which starred Sun Li. I've watched Happiness as Flower and found it interesting, so I hope this bodes well for Zu Ji too. And as always, I look forward to trying new series that Tong Yao is in. 

If you wish to check out my Tong Yao guide, please click me.

No comments: