description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Reason to Live


A true singaporean doesn't eat to live, he lives to eat. And I am a true singaporean and the above is one of the seasons why i could never live in the West. I need my dry chilli noodles, my chill crab, my roti prata, my teochew muay, my hokkien mee, my bbq chicken wings, my cha kway tiao ... ...Yesterday, we went to the Old Airport Road hawker centre for dinner. And each time i go there, which isn't often, i must have this bowl of noodles. This isn't a simple bowl of wanton noodle, these are noodles infused with memories of my childhood. Before the government decided to develope the hougang area, near teck chye terrace, there used to be a wet market. Above this wet market there was a hawker centre filled with the most amazing food. Wanton noodles with the tastiest of sauces, braised duck which i still dream of, hokkien mee to die for, indian mee goreng which i still miss to today and a otah stall people would queue for and buy by the 50s. It was in this hawker stall where we discovered the delights of ah hock's oyster omellette, an or-lua that all or-lua's must measure against. I love Old Airport Road Hawker Centre. It is here that i can still find the food of my childhood and this bowl of wanton noodles from that long gone hawker centre.

No comments: