description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Where Worlds Meet



Hi all, I'm kind of busy right now but I really want to share this short video clip with you all.  I like how they use the "little red dot" as a visual motif throughout this video clip. Who would have thought that Indonesian President B.J. Habibie's remark made so many years ago and greeted with anger at that point in time would become something that Singaporeans use, at first with some defiance, and now with some pride.

Although it seems to me that it isn't popular to express a sense of pride and love for Singapore, I am and always will be proud of this place I call home.  I really like this video in part because it is simply my kind of video. :)  Seriously, the style of this video is something that I really like.  This video also speaks to me and expresses quietly part of what I feel is great about my country.  And lastly, I know several of the people involved in the making of this video and I think they did a great job. :)

While I feel that there are many things wrong with Singapore, it isn't all that democratic and free speech crap the West would like me to feel is wrong with my country.  I lived in the US for many years before I chose to come home and I've come to realize that I don't care what the rest of the world thinks is wrong about my country, it isn't for them to decide.  I think the current government is great and the current political system is great.

What I worry about isn't that we don't have boring US styled democracy which I don't believe in nor do I think is workable in Singapore, what I worry about isn't that we don't have "free speech" (since I really can say virtually anything I want including anti-government stuff when they infuriate me sometimes with some really "baka" policies).  Aside from feeling that Singaporeans take things for granted and complain too much, and aside from feeling that sometimes we need much more of that "go get it" spirit and more backbone rather than wait for a helping hand or direction, perhaps what I am most unhappy about now is the increasing intolerance and bigotry in Singapore.  Hence, perhaps why I like this video... "Where Worlds Meet".  Right, I want this to be a place "Where Worlds Meet" where people can look pass differences in race, religion, social status, birthplace etc.  Anyway, that's the idealist in me speaking.  :)  Anyway, enjoy the clip and the months of hard work put in by all involved in the making of this video. :)

No comments: