description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Friday, November 05, 2010

Mini Cooper - Modeling

It's been a topsy turvey week for me and I'm kind of tired so I did not feel like blogging much.  However, I really want to put these photos of a modelling project I've been working on. 

Several years ago I took up a course on how to make Gundam models at the M Workshop at Sunshine Plaza.  I really enjoyed sanding and air-brushing etc and almost bought an air brush and compressor back then.  However, work got in the way and I have yet to make another cool air brushed Gundam like I did back then. =(

However, I always retained a great deal of interest in modelling and always intended to go back to it one day.  This year, one of the projects we had to do for the diploma I was studying for was to create a 3d car in Maya.  The car that I picked to model was the Mini Cooper 1967 Rally Version.

Aside from researching for reference photos on the internet, I also went and bought this 1/24 scale model of the actual car.  I used the instructions on how to build the model to model my 3D car in Maya.  And I have to say that this is one of the projects that I'm proudest of. =)

 I spent about 10 weeks modeling this.  Technically, this isn't my first 3D Maya car but my first one was pretty disastrous.  I did that several years ago when I took a crash course in Maya and we were just instructed to model a car and it didn't matter how realistic it looked.  This, however, is my first 3D photo realistic car and this car is truly a labour of love. =)  I spent several nights in school just to complete this car as well as some other ZBrush models.  If I didn't love VFX more and if I liked concept art more, I think I might have liked doing modelling as my specialization. =)

Anyway, since this post isn't about my 3D model, I'll not post up the other pictures of my 3D Mini Cooper just yet.  I'll leave that for another post.  This post is about the actual 1/24 model.  Since I got the model and since I like working with my hands and since my friend Des has the tools to do these kinds of models at home and offered very kindly to help me with the model, I decided to actually build the scale model of the mini cooper.

I hope that I will be able to complete this scale model of the Mini Cooper.  This is really my first glued together and air-brush scale model.  The only other air-brushed model I ever made was the Gundam which was a snap together.  Des is petty good with these kinds of models and has all the tools and the air brush and compressor as well.  And Des also was kind enough to guide me in the making of this model.  If you read this Des... thanks man. =)

After air brushing a coat of green. 
Oh and I know I should have
sanded that pipe thing better. :)

So anyway, here is what we accomplished about 2 weeks ago.  Since then, I have been busy with the Final Project and the reel and other stuff so we haven't progressed much since then.  Hopefully will get back to working on this model next week. =)

 






This is part of the engine after the
glue has set and before air-brushing.
It doesn't look like much does it. =) But it was a few hours worth of work. Maybe next time, we'll work on the model for an entire day. =)
  









Salisbury Steak with sides, all home made
and very awesome tasting. :)

Oh and Des' mum cooked us dinner that night and it was super awesome. Very delicious. =)

Next up, I think I'll post the break down of my Final Project.  It's what I used in my reel without my name, number and email. =)

Alrighty, I'm off to rest... I'm still kinda tired and not feeling super duper cheery happy today... so I think I'll call it an early night and sleep it off. =) cheers.

No comments: