description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Monday, May 15, 2006

TVB - The Biter Bitten

Goodness, TVB is really never short of bad English titles. While the title itself does try to express a certain series of events in this series. Still, it isn't terribly elegant at all. A buddy and I were talking about amusing TVB series titles at one point in time and we did think of coming up with a list but we never got around to doing it but that's another story all together. =)

Right, back to The Biter Bitten. This series stars Benny Chan, Michael Tong, Shirley Yeung, Linda Chung and a ton of mostly reliable TVB veterans, second supports and extras. I'm not terribly good with summaries nor do I have a great deal of patience when it comes to writing them so I'll try to be as succinct as possible. Briefly, the series is about two smart ass young men played by Benny Chan and Michael Tong who wind up working for a zoo in China and at the same time they some how get involved in mystery solving, treasure hunting, archaelogical digs and the circus. Sounds crazy? Well.... welcome to entertainment Hong Kong style, trust me, their films have tried to do even crazier things.

Anyway, this series is pretty much crap so I don't really want to spend a lot of time talking about it since it'll really be a bit of a waste of time. The series is probably aimed for a rather young crowd, I'm thinking maybe the teenage crowd but they kind of messed that up if they aimed for that crowd since the juvenile humour and the annoying two male leads which are obviously too old for their roles make it seem like the series was aimed at the adolescents.

Basically, avoid at all costs. The only two things that kept me watching to the bitter end was 1) I paid damn good money for this series so I felt like if my mum was going to abandon it then I should at least finish it 2) Shirley Yeung's and Michael Tong's characters' crazy antics in the latter stages of the series were surprisingly quite amusing. Other than that everything about the series was dumb, illogical and badly developed. It felt like they were trying to force National Treasure (a rather entertaining film) and The Touch (a really awful) film together and only succeeded in producing some monstrous hybrid of a tv series.

BTW, I really don't know what's the big fuss about Linda Chung. I don't find her that good a newcomer. Let's just say that I actually like Elaine Yiu, Charmaine Chin and a few of the other new young actresses in TVB more than Linda Chung which really does same something about how unimpressive I find her.

No comments: