description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Monday, May 08, 2023

Update 3: Chinese Drama 微暗之火 Gone with the Wind - First Trailer

#TongYao #童瑶 #微暗之火 #GoneWithTheWind #ZhangXincheng #张新成 ​​​#cdrama


The official Weibo account for Gone with the Wind released a number of key visuals and the first trailer for the series on 6th May and it looks interesting.  This seems to be a departure from many recent Mainland series that I've watched, in the sense that the level of physicality seems to be higher than most and they seem to be pushing the envelope on what most audiences of Mainland series are used to.


The edit and use of music are also nice and it feels really evocative in the beginning before it builds to a nice climax.  The setting is an old town in China.  I forgot where but I've seen photos of it online and it's lovely.  If I remember or find out, I'll amend this paragraph.

Normally, I prefer to push people to the official Weibo and websites but I realised that a Weibo account is needed to watch the videos on Weibo and I know getting a Weibo account may not be something everyone wants or can get.  So I'll post the video here and also place links to the Weibo post.


Also, for a series that has "darkness" in the title, I was expecting it to be visually much darker and I'm thankful that it isn't.  Some of the recent Mainland suspense series that have "darker" themes have been graded quite dark which makes it hard to make things out sometimes.  It may work well for people with better TVs but even then, it's a little tiring to watch for long periods of time.

    

The sexual tension between the two leads, Tong Yao and Zhang Xincheng, is dripping with so much intensity that it's almost palpable.  This shouldn't be a surprise because it was already evident from the two previous short films that the two actors worked on together that they make an electrifying onscreen couple.  The Vogue short film and the Glass Magazine collaboration (I forgot that I was going to write about that. 😅 May work on it later this week.) were the two short films the two leads worked on before the release of this trailer.

This should be an interesting watch for Tong Yao fans because this looks different from most of her previous roles.  It's evident from the trailer that her character has spirit in spite of her unfortunate circumstances.  Characters with internal strength and grit are something Tong Yao portrays well and I look forward to seeing more of that in the series.


Unfortunately, as of this point in time, we do not have an official release date yet but I expect that it should be imminent.


If you wish to check out my Tong Yao guide, please click me.

No comments: