description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Nuke!!!

Super super super tired these days.  As usual, work has taken over my life.  Even my Japanese studies, doramas, anime, music, photography and Bones have to take a back seat.  But I'm not complaining. :)  This time, unlike the previous times when I was frustrated because I didn't see myself going anywhere, I am really quite happy to put in OT... at least for now... and probably for quite some time yet.

Currently, we are getting some on the job training on The Foundry's Nuke and this software is awesome.  It was really intimidating at first because my background is all layer base software like Avid, Adobe Premier Pro, After Effects, Final Cut Pro etc etc.  Nuke is a node base compositing software and at the end of the day, the script looks like a flowchart and looks complicated and confusing.  Jumping from AE to Nuke was not easy at all, especially in the beginning.

I literally spent nights at the office in the past month trying to understand the principles behind node base compositing and at one point I was so frustrated... I think I would have sold my soul to "kyubey" for genius type competency in Nuke.  Hahahahaha... ... ... altho' this reminds me that I have yet to watch ep 11 and 12 of Mahou Shoujo Madoka. :(  I think I just don't want the anime to end. :)

Anyway.... last week, one of my seniors gave me a series of really good lessons on patching and camera projection and I really enjoy this kind of one-on-one session because after that... after I tried to do what he thought me etc, I finally think I understand the basics.

Today, I handed in my first clean-up shot.  It's so exciting!!!  Hahahaha... sounds silly but seriously, this is way more challenging then roto and altho' I don't dislike roto, still... sometimes, I want something that will stretch me further and Nuke is doing that right now.  Armed with the principles my supervisor and my senior taught me, I was able to work my way through the shot and I think it was a decent effort.

This afternoon, I tried to work my way through some example scripts my supervisor and given us and I was also relieve and really happy that I was able to figure out channel shifting from just messing with his script.  =)

K... that's if from me for now... I m tired and I'm contemplating if I should just call it a night and forget about "edge mattes" and 6 weeks worth of Japanese homework and just go to sleep. :)

No comments: