description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Kalafina ~ AnimateTV article - The Best albums sales exceeds 100,000

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm reading it correct because I'm kind of still in disbelief myself and I keep worrying that I may have read it wrong... so I have messaged my Japanese friend to ask her to help me confirm that I got it right.  Of course she's sleeping in Japan now, they are one hour ahead of us in Singapore.... so I won't get a confirmation till tomorrow morning.... so IF I got this wrong... let me apologise first.  BUT I think I did get it correct.... and it's my inability to believe it that has led me to second guess myself. :P

UPDATE 8am:  Yup, my friend in Japan has confirmed that that line means that Kalafina has already sold 100.000 copies of their first Best-of albums!!! Omedetou!! :)

This is the headline from an AnimateTV article today. CLICK ME.  It was the "10万枚のセールス" line that caught my attention.

source

I know these numbers are probably combined numbers for both the "Red" and "Blue" albums but still, if we split it right down the middle and say that's 50,000 per title, that's still amazing.  In the days of declining album sales, for these two albums to pull in an estimated 50,000 copies each in such a short time is amazing. The albums were only released on the 16th July which makes this barely two weeks.

I'm seriously finding this quite incredible news since I really didn't think these albums would be able to pull in these figures.  These are Best-of albums which means fans like me already own every single song there is on those albums except "Prelude" on the "Red" album and "Heavenly Blue" on the "Blue" album.  And if we didn't want to blow the cash on these albums, we didn't have to because they are releasing "Heavenly Blue" on its own, meaning that, unless you really wanted to, you don't need to spend the extra yen on a full album.  And "Prelude" isn't even a full song, it's more like a short musical piece than a full song which means, unless you really wanted to, a fan doesn't really need to pick up that album either.  Rabid fans like me and my other buddy will buy LE versions of both albums of course but I also know there were fans who either only bought one of them, likely the "Blue" album, or none at all.

Whatever the reasons... all I can say is.... Wow...this is amazing news for Kalafina.  I am really happy for them and for Kajiura Yuki.  I think the lives at the Budokan should sell well. :)

The article continues to talk about how Kalafina was ranked top two on all the anime music charts including online hi-res music webstores.  The Best albums also ranked 3rd and 4th on Oricon's weekly charts and top two on Amazon's best-seller music chart.  So we all knew the albums were selling well.  But what I didn't know was that the albums did more then sell well, it broke through the 100,000 mark in a really short amount of time.  While I love Kalafina to death, I also know they aren't the biggest names around, so I'm really pleased that their albums are selling well.  :)

Page two goes on to detail the trio's various promo campaigns across Japan.  I won't really go into them because I need to be at work early tomorrow and I will need to go to bed soon. :(  Anyway, click through them, there are several nice photos of them at work. :)

I don't really bother to track album sales and I have no real idea how many copies of each of their previous albums they've sold, but seriously, does this mean that Kalafina's top selling albums could actually be this pair of albums??

No comments: